Kale Chips/Crisps {SRC}


It seems like forever since I've done an Secret Recipe Club post.  There was no post in December due to the holidays.  So we are back now in January.  This month I was assigned 84th and 3rd which is written by JJ.  JJ's blog is filled with beautiful photography.  I loved looking through her posts getting inspiration for my food photography.  JJ has so many wonderful recipes.  I decided to try the Kale Chips.  I know I'm quite late jumping on the kale bandwagon.  We tried kale once in a pasta dish which turned out horrible so I have been hesitant on eating it again.  I've been seeing for awhile people raving online about kale chips so I thought it was about time we gave it a try!

First off I have to say these are no replacement for potato chips.  I think the term Kale Chips is deceiving as it brings to mind potato chips.  Kale Crisps I think are a more fitting description.  Having said that we really enjoyed these Kale Crisps!  The kids kept asking for more.  It is definitely a great way to eat kale.  We went through them in no time and I actually had to ask the kids to leave some for their dad.  Personally I could eat half the bowl without even realizing it.  I like to keep it beside me on the counter while cooking so I can munch on it.  I have already made this recipe 4 times!  Bilal is constantly asking me to make the crispy thing and even got upset one morning because they were all finished!  Hasan also loved having them as an after school snack.  When baking be careful to not burn because it will give a bitter taste.  They are also great to crumble over soups or just about anything.  Thank you JJ for sharing this recipe.  Next I will be trying your recipe for Whole Wheat Brown Sugar Pancakes!  Please drop by JJ's blog 84th and 3rd and give some of her recipes a try!

Kale Chips/Crisps
Adapted from 84th and 3rd

1 bunch kale, rinsed, dried and torn into bite-sized pieces
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
pinch cayenne (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 F.  Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.

Wash the kale.  To remove leaves from the stem, slide your fingers from the base to the top and the leaves will tear off.  Thoroughly pat dry the leaves with paper towel.  Tear into bite sized pieces.

Toss the kale with the olive oil.  Sprinkle with salt, nutritional yeast and cayenne.  Divide among the prepared baking sheets.  Bake in oven for 10 minutes.  Check on the kale after 5 minutes.  Depending on how well you dried the kale, it may take a lot less time to crisp up.  Then rotate the pans and turn all the leaves over.  Bake for another 5-10 minutes keeping an eye on it making sure it does not burn.    Allow to cool and enjoy!

Print Friendly and PDF

18 comments:

  1. Don't feel bad, I haven't tried kale chips yet either, even though my daughter keeps asking me to. After seeing how well yours turned out, I'll have to finally break down and give it a try. Happy reveal day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words and yes, they are more Kale Crisps! Loving the bowls in your pic too (I have an ever so slight prop addiction ;D)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've seen kale in supermarkets here but haven't had the guts to pick it up! the snap looks really awesome... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never tried Kale before only because I worry that we won't enjoy it and then no one will want to try it again! I'm shocked that your kids loved it so much! This is definitely something I'll be trying soon, inshAllah, and hopefully it'll be something Zunoon will love :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the same issue with kale and even did try it in a pasta dish which turned out horrible :( But these were good but be careful not to burn b/c they become bitter. It is an easy way to eat a lot of kale. I'm surprised they were so crazy for it too...Let me know how it turns out!

      Delete
  5. Kale chips are probably the one kale recipe I haven't tried. I hear rave reviews but haven't been able to bring myself to eating them. Definetely going to try them now. Happy SRC Day, beautiful recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love kale crisps (or chips... :-) - and made them a few times, very interesting way to enjoy it!

    I am also thrilled that SRC is back, it was hard to wait during the month long break...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have had kale chips, but have never tried to make them. They look awesome, Happy Reveal Day~ Lynn @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been on a huge kale kick lately, but I have yet to make chips... I need to try! Great SRC pick!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love kale chips, and you're right, they're more like kale crisps. So addictive! I've never added nutritional yeast - interesting ingredient!! I'm going to have to look into that. Thanks for sharing such a perfect recipe for January!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kale chips are great. I actually have a bunch of kale in my fridge right now that I had planned to use for another dish, but now I may just make these instead! Great pick this month :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never tried Kale Crisps. I keep getting kale in my weekly vegetable box, so will definitely have to make the recipe. I loved looking through your blog this month. We all loved your Afghani Kebob!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you are right that these would be better called Kale Crisps - that said, they are terrific-and guilt free!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hardly find kale around here, but those chips look great. Lovely pic! A good recipe for January!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love Kale Chips!!! They are so addicting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love kale chips. I wish my husband did. Then again maybe it is better he won't eat them. More for me!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never tried Kale chips but these look great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Woo, I love kale chips. I am not allowed to make them though unless I have guests, because I could eat the whole bowl myself! Great pick for SRC!

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Tacos {Remake}